I have had a number of emails recently asking where I purchased the various tools or sewing materials that I use when sewing my doll clothes patterns. This got me thinking that there are probably tons more people who would like to know where these things are available. So below is a list of various tools, fabrics and notions that I have had queries on. I explain where I purchased mine and list some online stores that I found stocking these items.
Handy for threading elastic or chord through a casing and I know they are available at my local Janome store so try your local sewing machine store. Online I could only find one that is a little different to mine although it does the same job.
- Joann fabrics so you could probably purchase both the Loop Turner and the Bodkin online from Joann’s if you are unable to find them locally.
- Buddly Crafts Found this one in Australia that is exactly like mine. https://buddlycrafts.com/au/shop/product-7555/hemline-bodkins-h249/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5sTVxs_D1gIV0hNoCh25IwhAEAQYAyABEgIhn_D_BwE
I use this to trim my Funky Fur outfit and Fur Trimmed Jacket. I purchase my craft fur from my local Spotlight store and can buy a minimum of 20cm (approx 8 inches). I notice that if you purchase online, they seem to sell it by the yard, if they sell less, that would be great, otherwise I suggest you check out your local craft or fabric/haberdashery store. Below are a couple of sites I found when doing a Google search:
If you cannot find suitable craft fur, you can always use a contrasting color of the same fabric you use for the jacket and pants.
These are inexpensive and handy for keeping my doll clothes patterns organized and if you would like to see how I set them up, please read my blog ‘How to Keep Your Doll Clothes Sewing Patterns Organized’ .In Australia these folders are readily available at discount stores, grocery stores and stationery stores. If you are not able to find these exact folders, a ring binder with plastic sleeves works just as well.
I use these on my Fairy Costume and often as decoration on bodices or hems of skirts. I get mine from the local craft store in multi color packs. Following are some links to sites I have found online selling similar flower sequins, some are in the UK but I’m sure the postage on such a small and light item would not be much.
- Cartwright’s Sequins and Vintage Buttons
- Regal Crafts http://www.regalcrafts.com/sequins/flower-sequins/cat_98.html these look interesting (I haven’t seen them before)
I absolutely love the Loop Turner (I call it ‘Looper the Trooper’). They are an inexpensive tool and I use mine all the time. I purchased mine from my local Janome store but it should be available at any good sewing store. Online I found it at:
- Joann fabric stores http://www.joann.com/dritz-loop-turner/1048347.html
- Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Prym-Dritz-647-Loop-Turner/dp/B000Y3GS5E
- Buddly Crafts https://buddlycrafts.com/shop/product-19584/prym-loop-turner/
I hope this helps you find what you are looking for more easily and if you have found other great places to purchase these things from please let me know via adding comments to the blog so that others that are interested can source them too!