There was such a wonderful response from my blog post where Peggy shared her tips on making a pair of tights for your doll from a ladies sock, so I’m sure you will enjoy the following tutorial, again from Peggy, on how to make a pair of socks for your 18 inch American Girl or other sized doll from a ladies sock.
1. Sock lying flat
2. Decide on the length you want the sock plus enough to cover the length of the foot. Mark the sock with a pin and cut straight across- usually between 4-6 inches down from the top of the cuff. You can just see the pin in the picture above.
3. Sock portion cut to desired length
4. Cut sock up both sides
5. to make 2 pieces
6. Fold each piece in half, right sides together and pin
7. Serge a rolled edge hem or sew a small zigzag or knitt stitch from the top down to the bottom and then across the bottom edge.
8. Turn to right side
9. Completed sock on doll
Peggy often does the same thing with the foot section of the sock, but she has to do a rolled hem around the top opening and then join the side and toe seams with a rolled hem stitch as you don’t have the top cuff to act as the top of the sock.
If you find it difficult to keep the edges together when sewing or serging, you may prefer to try the following.
- Mark the point where you would like the bottom of the sock to be with a pin
- Mark the centre of the top of the sock with a pin
- On the left side of the top pin, stitch a small zigzag or knit stitch down to the pin at the bottom and then stitch out to the left side.
- On the right side of the top pin, stitch a small zigzag or knit stitch down to the pin at the bottom and then stitch out to the right side.
- Make sure to leave enough room between the two rows of stitching from the top down so that you can cut between them
- Cut across the bottom and up the centre
- Turn to right side and Voila!
If you have suitable fabric in your stash, you could also very easily make socks for your doll by cutting two rectangle pieces approx 3″ x 4-6″ (8cm x 10-15cm) depending on how much stretch your fabric has and how long you want the socks to be. Hem the top of each rectangle (one of the shortest sides), fold in half as Peggy has in step 6 above and then sew the side and toe seams. Turn to the right side and you have a cute pair of socks for your doll.
It was fantastic to receive all these photos and instructions from Peggy and she has sent more tutorials on making underpants and a top from socks too that I will share in coming blogs. Thanks so very much Peggy for taking the time to share your ideas with us.
By Rosie Saw