I received an email from Kitty who wanted to make some doll clothes for her Granddaughter’s 17 inch (43cm) Baby Born doll and she asked ‘Are any of the American Girl and Cabbage Patch patterns suitable or adaptable to this size doll?’
Because I had a Baby Born doll I sat down with my daughter and tried all the outfits that I have patterns available for on my Baby Born doll – it sort of took us back a few years and we had a little bit of fun! Anyway, I was thrilled to be able to tell Kitty:
All the following American Girl size patterns will fit without adjustment
All the following 18 1/2 Inch Cabbage Patch Kids size patterns will fit without adjustment
Then with just a few small adjustments, the following patterns will fit too!
- Summer Dress – Shorten bodice ½” (12mm) and shorten hem ½ – 1” (12-25mm)
- Summer nightie – may need to shorten the elastic used in the straps about ½” (12mm)
- T-shirt – make neck slightly bigger and if making the long sleeves they will need to be shortened about ½” (12mm)
- Frill Hat – you may need to add about ½” (12mm) to bottom of hat and add elastic to hold on dolls head
- Winter Pyjamas – shorten sleeves ½” (12mm) and pants 1” (25mm). I would also add about ¼” (6mm) to top of pants
- Wedding Dress – Shorten long sleeve ½” (12mm) and hem of dress ½ – 1”
- Funky Fur – shorten sleeves 1” (25mm) and pants 1” (25mm)
- Winter Nightie – Shorten hem 1 ½ – 2″ (35mm – 55mm)
- Fifties Vintage Dress – Shorten hem 1″ (25mm)
- 3 Way Shoe – Shorten top of boot ½” (12mm)
- Overalls for All Seasons – Shorten American Girl long hem 1¼” (30mm)
- Fur Trimmed Jacket – Use Cabbage Patch pattern and make sleeves 1” (25mm) narrower, make armhole smaller and add ½” (12mm) to sleeve length.
These alterations are just a guide and you may need to alter them slightly depending on the fit you like on your doll.
So if you’re looking for patterns to suit your 17 inch (43cm) Baby Born Doll, then you can confidently use my doll clothes patterns as mentioned above. If you have a doll that is similar and want to compare her measurements to those of the Baby Born doll, you will find these measurements on the Doll Sizing Page.
If, like Kitty, you are sewing for a different sized doll and using my patterns, please let me know which doll you are sewing for, how you go using my patterns and what adjustments you have made so I can share this information with others on my blog. Don’t forget to send me photos too, I love seeing what you have been busy creating!